Friday, August 1, 2008

True Dignity

It is rare for me to lose hope in humanity. I have always thought that our species would overcome our tendency to allow the powerful people of the world to subjugate the weaker. That people would get over their narcissistic need to dominate others for the simple purposes of building their own self esteem or satisfying their lust. That, given the choice, the average human being is capable of maintaining compassion for others, rather than committing acts that scar and terrorize innocent people for the rest of their lives. This, among a few other thoughts, have allowed me to remain optimistic about humanity.
Optimism begins to disappear, though, after one reads stories such as the one about the man who decapitated a fellow bus passenger while he slept, much to the horror of the surrounding people. It is simple to claim that this was the result of the actions of an insane person, and, undoubtedly, I think the claim is valid. Yet, another story that I read yesterday horrified me to a greater extent.
The story concerns our American service women being raped by our servicemen. According to CNN, Rep. Jane Harman, D-California reported that her "jaw dropped when the doctors told me that 41 percent of the female veterans seen there [Veterans Affairs hospital near L.A.] say they were victims of sexual assault while serving in the military." My jaw, in addition to my heart, dropped as well.
Reading on, I discovered that, according to CNN, "the Pentagon's top official on sexual abuse, Dr. Kaye Whitley, was ordered not to show up despite a subpoena" by the House of Representatives.
Seeing the military attempting to obstruct this investigation was more than enough to turn my stomach, if, it were not already turning from the actions of some of our servicemen. I have to ask the pentagon, and all the servicemen who have committed rape, what the hell is wrong with you people? Is it a deficiency of respect for others that allows you to take and do whatever you want? Or, are you no different from a rabid, diseased, dog, spreading its affliction and sorrow to others?
Some days, I have my doubts about our species. Then, almost miraculously, I see or hear of, both soldiers and civilians, doing something heroic. Jumping into harms way to save someone that they don't know, or, giving to others, when they barely have anything to give. Or, those that tell the truth, even though it sacrifices what they hold dear. These are the finer examples of humanity that display compassion, honor, and the true dignity of our species.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Want something to really worry about? Think about this: one third of the American public think the bible is literally the word of God.
And with the religious right gaining power, remember - when religion had the power to kill you if you didn't conform to their views, they did.